Thursday, September 18, 2014

Permaculture on Trial


My raised beds surrounded with a new fence. Rabbit proof?












Bill, I have to say that the whole permaculture subculture out there has a certain appeal. I don't consider myself one of the flock, but I have given it a try... again.

Here is the latest attempt at using the natural gardening system that God has built into nature. I mentioned earlier that I dug up my garden and placed about 3 to 4 inches of half composted yard waste in my raised beds. Then I replaced the five inches of garden soil, and planted broccoli and two kinds of cabbage in the soil.



The Broccoli have already double in size. Exciting!
The plants, as you can see, are doing pretty well, although I have to admit that we have had some good rain lately. I suppose that the permaculture changes won't really take full effect until the plants get mature enough for the roots to grow down into the buried compost, which is supposed to conserve the water underneath. I know that I haven't added any mulch on top of the soil, which goes against the idea that nature abhors bare soil. I will have to fix that soon. Meanwhile, I look forward to seeing how the planting develops.

However, I do have some serious questions percolating in my brain about what happens when it becomes time for a new crop to be planted.


1. After I pull up the plants, how do I replenish the compost underneath? That will just mix up the dirt and compost together.

2. Since much of the compost is not aged much and still very rough, will it turn the garden soil into a trashy mess that will dry out quickly?

3. Or, do I just not replenish it, and let it go for a few years. Will the compost underneath last that long?



Anyhow, to sum up my present feelings, I would like to admit that I like this concept better than the lasagna gardening method, which I royally failed at trying.  But I have to be honest here. Looking at these things from my skeptical, suburbanite mentality, and until I finally begin seeing some results, this permaculture way of life is still under trial.
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment