Tuesday, September 2, 2014

New House... Finally!

Hey Bob,

We finally moved into our new house last month, or as I like to think of it, our new garden with attached living space.  Actually, we usually call it New House, but also sometimes Grant House or The Blue House.  I imagine one of those will stick.  The important point is that after years of renting, we own property again, thank the Lord.  It has been a long road and many apartments to get here.  It's a dream come true.

Over the past years, I spent a lot of time dreaming about gardening.  Yes, I dreamed of dirt for years.  The Master Gardening classes were of great help.  I researched all kinds of gardening methods including square-foot, no-till, French intensive, lasagna, sheet-mulch, traditional tilled, hydroponic, aqua-culture, and permaculture. 

Now it's time to put theory into practice, to let the rubber meet the road.  I consider the small gardens I had at the rental properties as practice gardens.  I think I have settled on a no-till, sheet-mulch, permaculture method for New House.  I see a lot of value in working with nature as God created it instead of against it. To that effect, I have begun to collect the materials needed for layering carbon and nitrogen.  I want to feed the soil and encourage a balanced biology of plants, animal and insects.

Today is September 2, 2014.  I suspect that is too late to plant fall crops here in Clever, Missouri. I haven't seen the cow manure I'm getting yet, so I'm not sure how green it is.  It might burn seedlings right up.  But I also hate to think of waiting the entire winter for the beds to mellow enough for spring planting, so I'm considering putting in some cool season crops like lettuce, radishes and kale and to try to extend the growing season with some home-made poly tunnels. 

Of course, fall is a great time to work on the garden's bones.  I appreciate and fully intend to take advantage of flowering annuals, perennials and shrubs.  Who doesn't appreciate a picture, post-card, English cottage garden?  But my main priority is functionality.  I want a productive garden that's pleasing to look at, not a pretty garden with some productive plants.  I have already begun to scout the local nurseries for blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, gooseberries, grapes, fruiting trees, and a host of lesser known fruiting plants like elderberries and paw paw.  I also have an eye on a couple of micro-climate spots in the yard.  I may be able to get away with growing a fig.

I haven't even begun to mention the other garden bones, like fences, paths, birdbaths, brick patios, and pergolas.  I've already run out of time.

I'll add another post soon to show you my sheet-mulch materials.  In the meantime, here's a picture of the back yard.  I think you'll agree it looks just like a clean slate, ready for planting. 


Your brother,
Bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment