Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Garlic?

Bill, 


Take a look at these garlic bulbs. At least I think they are garlic. There is a friend of mine named Eric who bought around ninety acres south of Thomason. Off on one side of the property is the free standing chimney of an old house that burnt down years ago. The chimney stands in a small clearing of the forest which has grown up all around it.

Eric found out that I am gardening, and when I mentioned herbs, he offered me some of the garlic plants that still grow around the foundation. The question I have is whether this is really garlic.

Take a look at it. The plants have garlic looking foliage, and there is the ball shaped flower head that appeared over the summer, but the bulbs have me wondering. The plants have been in the garden for a few years now, so I would think that the bulbs would have had plenty of time to multiply into cloves. There is an indention on one of the bulbs that could be where a bulblet grew, but I was expecting the usual multi-bulb bunch of garlic, not a single large bulb like a daffodil. There are no small cloves like garlic and no inner layers like an onion. It seems just one solid bulb.
I don’t know whether to eat these things or not. I am tempted to trash them and buy some garlic bulbs at a seed and feed. Since being left out in the sunshine a week or two, they have begun turning green. Regardless, they are not going back into my garden anymore.
Bob

1 comment:

  1. Bob,
    I don't know what they are. I Googled wild garlic bulbs, but they look like smaller garlic, more like onions.
    It bothers me that the rind look herbaceous, not papery.
    I'd do some research before eating them.

    ReplyDelete